Sunday 29 May 2011

Wochenbild #8

Firstly, a big apology to all my regular readers.  This week has been fraught with medical, dental and familial problems.  I have in turn been too preoccupied and too unwell to post.  Hopefully the worst has now past!

I find this photograph very intriguing.  The grizzled soldiers have been snapped during fatigues.  Their "panje" sled is loaded with what appear to be milk-churns, although now they could contain almost any liquid.  This little vignette is of interest in itself but the back-drop is what I find especially noteworthy.

To the rear are the ruins of a Russian village (perhaps the outskirts of a town due to the presence of telegraph lines?)  Both timber and brick/masonry structures are present, albeit much the worse for wear.  In the middle-ground stands a very odd structure.  To me it looks like part of a defensive stockade better suited to a Wild West setting - but perhaps it is something different.

As always, if you can shed any light on the picture - please comment below.

2 comments:

  1. I looks like the front of a warehouse...the type on railway sidings...to the left of the pic there´s something that actually looks like railway bumpers...??
    Cheers
    Paul
    Ps.I hope everythings fine now and the worst is past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good wishes PB.

    I like that idea - the raised doorway may well suggest that there was a platform present before it had the B'Jesus blown out of it.

    ReplyDelete